Monday 21 July 2014

Am I (as a mummy) boring at work?

I wonder if I'm boring to my colleagues who are single or have no kids. When one of them asks me how my weekend was, instead of boring them with mummy details, I would normally reply with "nothing much". 

"Nothing much" is far from the truth. 

All mothers have another full time job at home. Once I get home, with every last bit of energy I have, I become a listener, an entertainer and a story teller. 




Weekends or not, we spoil our children with the attention that we "owe" them when we are around them. We feel guilty for not being present for a major chunk of their weekday lives . We try to be a great mum and a fantastic wife (by being a great mum). 





Obviously, this all makes for a very boring conversation just "being a mum" over the weekend. But it takes up our whole weekend and it is very exhausting. 

Occasionally, we are the disciplinarians. This is the hardest role we have to play at home. 




I will never be able to beat the couple who ate at a new swanky restaurant, the person who went for a quick holiday over the weekend, the person who caught a new movie at the cinema or the person who took up a new hobby. 

But I guess at some level (even with a tinge of jealousy), it doesn't matter if I am boring at work. I am as contented as a mummy can be..



No comments:

Post a Comment